Friday, January 30, 2015

And now for something completely different.....

Hello and happy Friday! Woot! Woot!

Last week I was looking up yarn wreaths on Pinterest, and holy crow! There are, like, a gazillion on there! I wanted to make one for my front door for Valentine's Day. The one I made about 8 years ago has finally started to disintegrate, so it was time for a new one. I came up with this:


My front door is red, so I knew I wanted a vanilla wreath, and I also wanted to make felt flowers. I Googled 'felt flower tutorials' and while perusing one of the many links, I found the tutorial for that amazingly gorgeous dahlia flower! You can find the tutorial here. Rachel even has a free template that you can download - very generous! The red roses are another video tutorial I found here. For the vanilla/medium pink flowers, I cut a 3" vanilla circle and a 3-1/2" pink circle. I cut a wonky spiral in both. Finding a few pearl beads in my stash, I wrapped the vanilla felt around it, hot gluing every so often to secure. Then I continued with the pink. The tiny grey roses were die cut using a rose die from MFT. It's a lot of fussy cutting, and a lot of hot gluing. (I only have a couple singed fingers - yay me!) Oh, and that wreath took me at least 3-1/2 hours to wrap. Best to do it at night while (sort of) watching your favorite TV shows. ☺ The only thing I regret doing is adding the glitter glue on the red roses. I wanted a little sparkle on this (who wouldn't?) but my Diamond Stickles bottle is running very low. I had another bottle from someone else so I used that. Big mistake. I thought it would dry clear. Nope. Oh well, you live and learn. It still looks gorgeous. Here are some more pics:

(my glue gun cord wasn't long enough to reach my dining room table. 
No worries. TV tray to the rescue!)



 Here it is hanging on my front door

I just love how this looks!!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!


5 comments:

  1. Awesome job on the wreath, I need to put something on my door besides Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Your homemade flowers are fabulous! I can see how wrapping the wreath might be therapeutic as long as there's something good to binge-watch at the same time. And you have a red door... no wonder we're friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow!!! I am in LOVE! This is stunning, Chris! So worth all the time and effort it took, because this is uh-mazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them!

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.